HANNIBAL – For anyone considering adding a new pet to the family, now is a great time to head to the shelter.
The Northeast Missouri Humane Society will host a Clear the Shelter Adoption event. For those six months or more, adoption fees for cats will be reduced to $20 and dogs to $50.
Shelter manager Elise Blue said the event was aimed at freeing up more space at the shelter. The shelter wants to make sure they are available for any animals that need a forever home.
“Our animals are going through the roof right now and we just don’t have room at the shelter,” she said.
Blue also said neutering and neutering is an essential way for pet owners to help the shelter. They brought in full litters of kittens that quickly fill the shelter.
While they hope to make room for incoming animals, their priority is to ensure that all adopted animals will go to a forever home. Blue said all standard adoption procedures will be followed for the Clear the Shelter event.
This means that anyone wishing to participate must already have an approved adoption application by May 20. This means that applications can now be printed online and delivered to the shelter or you can pick up an application directly at the shelter.
Blue also pointed out that if you’re renting, you’ll need to provide a copy of the rental agreement that says pets are allowed.
She also shared other important tips for preparing for pickup day:
- Plan ahead accordingly and assume there will be a waiting period outside.
- If you are adopting a pet into a family, please bring your whole family, not just one person representing the family.
- Some dogs may require a meeting with the current dogs in the house. To expedite the adoption process, please plan to bring your dog or do a meet and greet earlier in the week.
- No deductions will be allowed.
- Promotion prices end at close of business on Saturday.
- If you are considering adopting a cat, please bring a carrier. Cardboard holder available for $5.
- NEMOHS reserves the right to refuse any adoption in the best interest of the animal or the family.
- Please note that all of our regular adoption policies will apply.
Blue also mentioned that one of the biggest events of the year for the shelter will take place the day before the Clear the Shelter event.
Quarter Madness will take place at the American Legion in Hannibal on May 19.
Items for your pet, your family or just yourself will be on the silent auction table. They will also have gift certificates and more.
“We have a great time watching the young kids in the community help out by collecting all the quarters,” Blue said. “It’s just such a fun event for people around the world.”
Other events coming up in May for the shelter:
Foster Field Trip Meeting
Learn about the Foster Field Trip program and how it can help shelter animals get adopted faster.
Tractor Supply Onsite Adoption Event
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on May 14
Adoptable animals will be at the Tractor Supply Store in Hannibal.
For more information or to find an adoption application, visit nemohumane.com.